You Gotta Start Somewhere

Early August 2018

So, here's where we get to the normal format.  This blog will function basically as a diary of the making of the movie, complete with dates!  Yay dates!  Unfortunately, in the beginning I didn't do a good job at writing things down so some of the more specific dates from the very beginning are lost at the moment.

Speaking of writing things down.

Now that the story was figured out the first thing to do was to put ink to paper and design everything.  And I mean everything, from characters to environments to props.  Thankfully for me, as I am doing this project mostly alone at the moment, I can get away with not having to get too specific with my designs.  This project consists of three human characters, one humanoid creature, and two other creatures.  These characters have names, but saying them sounds super dorky, like I'm a sixth grader trying to get you to read their fantasy book, so for the time being I'll just use code names.  The creature from the test film I did I shall refer to as "Angel".  Angel had a design already, thanks to me having design him for that project, though modifications are in order.  Speaking of which, linking that video in the last post and watching it again was a real bummer.  It looked so terrible to me that I had to lay down.

I don't recall having any trouble with any of the concepts for this film.  They all came to me at once, in one way or another.  Sometimes I'd fiddle with some details, but the broad strokes were always there.  For the hero, now on referred to as "Hero", I wanted a combination of early 1900s military with a dash of medieval armor.  I am unfortunately completely rubbish at drawing these days, as having not pursued it in several years and not being too good to begin with, honestly.  My girlfriend, however, is an incredible artist and agreed to help with to look of the hero.  I gave her one of my drawings and she used that to expand upon.  I'll go into more detail on that in another entry.  The world itself I want to be a kind of gothic nightmare or sorts.  A lot of the environments I would sketch and then use that as a base to figure out later in 3d space.  For the month of August, and maybe July, I can't recall, the look of the movie began to emerge.